Objective: We need to produce the section of the body structure that mounts the windshield glass and represents the A-pillars for the LM 3D Swim. This needs to be done with DDM processes, minimal human intervention and it is essential that the solution be structural. It’s important to keep in mind the vehicle has a very complex form to match the glass and overall vehicle aesthetic.
Challenges to overcome:
1. The glass of the windshield needs to be mounted reliably with either mechanical clamps or an adhesive. The adhesive needs to be sealed from the elements to ensure longevity of the bond.
2. The overall form of the piece needs to be structural enough to provide support against wind force, the weight of people leaning and pulling on it, and even to provide some rollover support.
3. The A-pillar will be a main component in passing FMVSS 216 and FMVSS216a (though not required for a convertible, we do want to make it as safe as possible). During the testing of this standard, each side of the passenger compartment roof structure must resist up to a maximum applied force equal to 3.0 times the unloaded weight of the vehicle in kilograms and multiplied by 9.8.
4. The glass is a complex surface and the aesthetic portions need to match it. This means there are not many planer surfaces to act as a bottom layer for a print or to serve other functions in manufacturing.
5. Even though this can be multiple pieces, the general rule is that assembly time should be as minimal as possible.
We need your assistance with conceptual processes. It isn’t necessary to include the models and assets created; we simply need your best ideas on process approaches we could take to get this created. Please include the following:
o A general description of the process flow
o A short description of hurdles addressed
o Links to any supporting information
o Essential links or leads to any specialized materials or equipment for the solution
o Any diagrams that could assist in the understanding of the process solution
This website is built with advanced, modern technologies and does not support older versions of Internet Explorer. In order to use this website it is recommended you choose and install a modern web browser. All of the browsers listed below are free and only take a few minutes to install.