Task: Door Safety in a DDM vehicle
Description: Door safety is always a huge issue for vehicles. As you know, a door is a port that has to open but also close securely and not collapse in on occupants in the event of a crash or impact. We need your insight to help with our direction for how the doors of the vehicle could be created from a structural standpoint to support occupant safety using DDM processes. Our goal is to not us tooling, minimize human assembly and lower the part count.
Challenges to Overcome:
1. Doors may have to house equipment and systems for controls, latching mechanisms (if latch is on the door side) and windows.
2. Weight is always a constant issue and doors could easily become heavy in support of safety. This would impact vehicle efficiency, the strength of the hinge mechanisms needed, and the user experience of having to operate such a bulky piece.
3. Doors have internal and external aesthetic elements that can often be complex surfaces so solutions will need to accommodate both form and function.
4. Door assembly time should be minimal, especially in regards to human operations.
5. Doors play a critical role in side impact protection. Having doors that protect the occupant will be critical in passing FMVSS 214, 214D-09, 214P, and 214-S-05. These test include, but are not limited to:
o Each vehicle shall be tested by impacting it on either side with a moving deformable barrier MDB moving at a velocity of 53.9 kph (33.5 mph)
o Each vehicle shall be tested by impacting a fixed, rigid pole 254 mm (10 inches) in diameter, at any speed up to and including 32 km/h (20 mph)
o A 12" Dia pole is pushed into the door area 18"
o There are crush resistance requirements at 6", 12", and wherever max occurs.
Please provide your concepts that provide direction to investigate for a functional door safety structure. We don’t need all the models and assets created; we simply need your best concepts: Please include the following:
o A general description of the system mechanism and approach
o A short description of hurdles addressed
o Links to any supporting info
o Essential links or leads to any specialized materials or equipment for the solution
o Any diagrams that could assist in the understanding of the process solution