SwiftMed is a medical supply delivery drone capable of long range with a heavy 5 kg payload.
Our inspiration for this design is the challenge of combining a quadcopter with a conventional fixed wing UAV. The range efficiency of a fixed wing UAV with the VTOL capability of a quadcopter brings a unique challenge in combining their advantages and minimizing their disadvantages. We decided to rise up to this challenge to make the best possible drone that achieves its performance specifications.
Our design described:
- It is a conventional shaped for simplicity, with a twin pylon design that contains the four lifting motors and two pusher motors.
- It uses the two pusher propellers to provide yaw and roll control to avoid the additional cost, mass and complexity of aileron and rudder control.
- The lifting motors are shut-off and fixed in forward flight to minimize the drag penalty and to reduce power consumption.
- The pylons are attached to the wing and parallel to the airflow.
- Stability is achieved through the conventional horizontal and vertical tails, and longitudinal trim is achieved with an elevator.
- The materials used can handle all weather conditions and don't suffer from water ingress from moister or rain.
- All electronics are sealed and the motors are covered by large spinners and a suitable fairing.
- The materials and motors also operate in the required operating temperature.
- The structure is a mix between a larger aircraft and a RC glider aircraft. Conventional structural elements, namely: spars, ribs, longerons and skins are part of the design, but they are simplified for assembly and packaging.
Please see our uploaded files for more details on the above description.
- Capable of transporting 3kg + 1.69kg extra battery (24.69kg MTOM) over 140km.
- Capable of transporting 5kg for 97km. (25kg MTOM)
- Cruise Speed - 25m/s.