Challenge: Mars Home Planet 3D Modeling Challenge
Brief for Mars Home Planet 3D Modeling Challenge
The goal of this project is community-based design of a utopian urban society on Mars for 1 million humans, in 3D. Think about a cool or innovative design in your area of interest or expertise, and bring it to life with your favorite Autodesk 3D software and HP Z Workstations. Autodesk software and HP Z Workstations are recommended but not required to enter.
Do you spend your days designing buildings in Autodesk Revit? Think about how one million people will live on Mars and design a Martian community, in Revit. Prefer to design vehicles and machines? Go ahead and design a futuristic Martian transporter in Fusion 360. Are you a Maya or 3ds Max guru? Create a surface to orbit transportation system. AUTOCAD Wizard? Create Martian furniture or a low gravity skateboard. Civil3D pro? Design the smart city of the future.
The rules are: respect the physics of Mars, use your imagination, and have fun! See the Requirements for complete details. For inspiration and ideas, reference the Mars Home Planet Concept Challenge winners and over 450 amazing submissions.
Don’t be intimidated, as you don’t need to go at this alone. It’s easy to form a team with your friends, colleagues or schoolmates. You can even form a virtual team with anyone, anywhere, from the Launch Forth community.
Membership has its privileges! As a member of the Mars Home Planet community, you have exclusive access to Autodesk software training from Global eTraining, Autodesk trial software, a special “Mars” Edition of How It Works magazine. See the navigation bar on the left for all the goodies.The best for last: In addition to the amazing HP Z Workstation prizes, winners of this competition will have their 3D models brought to life by the Mars Home Planet community in the Mars VR Experience project. Winners will also have the claim to fame of being judged by the most amazing, talented, and accomplished Jury, including:
Requirements for Mars Home Planet 3D Modeling Challenge
Valid submissions must include:
- 3D model (native file format from application used to create the model)
- JPG or PNG screenshots/renderings from at least 4 different angles. (Front, Side, Top, Isometric), at least 1920 pixels wide and 1080 tall.
- Exported 3D interchange file (STL, OBJ, FBX, STP, etc)
All submissions must:
- Include an originally designed 3D model
- Be bound by the physical constraints of Mars, including Mars atmospheric conditions, gravity, soil, terrain, air, cosmic radiation, need of water supply, etc.
- For reference see: https://mars.nasa.gov/all-about-mars/facts/
- Support a productive life and happy existence for one million humans
- Not use registered trademarks (for example: company names and brand logos) without explicit permission from the trademark owner is not allowed. Submissions containing such trademarks will be removed and disqualified.
- We don’t know the exact date when one million people will be living on Mars
- By the time one million humans are living on Mars, there will be a solution for efficient Earth to Mars transportation.
- There will always be a high cost of transporting goods and resources to Mars, so consider leveraging native Martian resources for manufacturing and construction.
- Creativity of design, leverage of Martian terrain and resources, and vision of utopian lifestyle on Mars
- Innovative approach to improving life on Mars
- Approach to construction/fabrication
- Examples: Private residence, multi-family residence, residential development, dense commercial skyscrapers, retail zones, recreational zones and parks, government offices, school and university campuses.
- Recommend software: Autodesk Revit, AutoCAD
- Design creativity and lifestyle improvement
- Focus on user-centric design, and vision of utopian living on Mars
- Innovative approaches to ameliorating life in a hostile environment
- Examples: Space suits and clothing, recreation, entertainment, consumer products, and sports equipment
- Recommend software: Autodesk Alias, Fusion 360, Inventor, Maya, 3ds Max, AutoCAD
- Innovative approach to low-gravity transportation solutions
- Engineering innovation and consideration of future Mars living environments (cities may be in enclosed habitats)
- Relevance to enhancing quality of life on Mars for 1 million humans
- Examples: Electric autonomous vehicles, drones, public transportation, human-powered vehicles, underground vehicles.
- Recommend software: Autodesk Alias, Fusion 360, Inventor, Maya, 3ds Max
- Novelty and mechanics of design
- Engineering innovation and consideration for Mars-based manufacturing
- Relevance to enhancing quality of life on Mars for 1 million humans
- Examples: personal vehicles, public terrestrial transportation systems, surface and air exploration vehicles, commercial delivery vehicles, surface to outer atmosphere transportation system, water extraction system, air creation system, power generation system.
- Recommended software: Autodesk Fusion 360, Inventor, AutoCAD
- Innovation in urban design and infrastructure
- Grand vision and ability to support the lives of 1 million humans (air, water, environmental protection, transportation, electricity)
- Creative approach to construction, maintenance, and expansion
- Examples: Residential and commercial zones, public parks and recreation, spaceports, terrestrial transit systems, water extraction and distribution, air and environmental protection systems, power distribution, bridges, tunnels
- Recommended software: Autodesk Civil3D, Infraworks, Revit, AutoCAD
- Artistic quality and creativity
- Innovative solution for improving life on Mars
- Vision for a utopian life on Mars for one million humans
- Examples: space suits, clothing, recreational activities, concept vehicles, schools, sports, playgrounds, concert venues, toys, jewelry, food, entertainment experiences, space stations, exploration equipment.
- Recommended software: Autodesk Maya, 3ds Max
- Innovation in interior design and lifestyle improvement in consideration of the physical limitations of life on Mars
- Creative approach to material selection and consideration for Mars-based manufacturing
- Vision for a utopian lifestyle and invigorating interior escapes from the hostile environment of Mars
- Examples: residential furniture, office furniture, school interior, office interior, residential interior, public transportation terminal interior.
- Recommended software: AutoCAD, Revit, Maya, 3ds Max
Timeline: Open for Submissions: Nov 14, 2017 – Feb 25, 2018
Validation Period: Feb 26, 2018 -March 5, 2018
Judging: March 6-20, 2018
Winners will be announced on or about March 27, 2018!
As a member of the Mars Home Planet community, you have exclusive access to Autodesk software training from Global eTraining!
- Original CAD drawing
- An executive summary describing your design(s) in PDF form
- JPG or PNG from at least 4 different angles. (Front, Side, Top, Isometric)
- Images should be at least 1920 pixels wide and 1080 tall.
- Your drawing as an STL or OBJ format
Challenge Terms and Conditions