Voting Result: 2.56671842177
Overview for Mint Dragonfly
In addition to the formal requirements set up this design applied additional possibly useful features:
- The distance between the landing gear points is wide allowing for wide and stable landing gear track.
- It is deemed that in all practical configurations of tandem wing, one of the wings works harder and the second one is underutilized carrying unnecessary drag. Therefore configuration which is applied has smaller canard surface and longer main wing.
- The canard configuration insures that both canard and wing have positive camber and contribute to lift allowing for total wing+canard area to be smaller.
- Camera is located in the right hand side boom. The rest of the equipment is held in the right and left hand booms, except recovery parachutes which are located in the main fuselage.
- Cargo bay is now faired but allows for non standard sizes of the cargo.
- It is possible to make the cargo bay fully external for simplicity.
- Cargo securing equipment is made using doors and electromagnetic door uplocks/latches capable of securing 6kg cargo from opening the doors.
- Wings have wingtips folding downward which is lowering the drag but is also used as landing gear. This is saving weight for landing gears.
- Vertical takeoff Propellers gets positioned in the low drag position once in the air.
- Rudders are located on the front landing gear support saving space and weight.
- Mint Dragonfly is designed so it can take off and land on the tricycle landing gear and using main rotor in case of failure of any of the 4 vertical motors or their drive circuit, which is electrically and galvanically separated from the main electrical motor.
- Space is reserved for parachute recovery system.
- Retraction actuator for the cargo door is electrical.
- Main wing is swept forward, this gives elliptical wing load for rectangular wing and minimal induced drag. See this reference: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aircra... page 57 paragraph 2.
- There are cut-outs in the booms which allow partial shielding of the props in the horizontal flight, when they are in the low drag position, almost rendering the drag associated with the propellers to zero.
- Complete design is aimed at low drag which would allow to hit range and speed targets.