Brief for MLV: Refined
- Modular - Interoperability is all that matters .
- Breakable / Hackable - Design for the need, but anticipate the unexpected.
- Understandable - Intuitive for users of all types to use, modify and share functional builds
- Function over Form - Fewer format features maximizing usability over aesthetics
- High Capacity - Room to hold more. More people, more equipment, more functions.
- Future Forward - Incorporate additive manufacturing methods and materials
- 6 Occupants
- 4 Bags
- 3 Occupants
- EU 3000 Honda generator (120V current 23.3A frequency 60Hz)
- 6-gallon compressor (10Amp)
- Compound saw (15Amp 120V)
- A retractable electrical cord reel
- Air hose reel
- Pneumatic nail gun
- Woodworking tools such as hammer nails and banding equipment
- 3 Occupants
- Diesel fuel tank 50 gallon capacity with DC fuel pump,
- A small tool box with standard tools for servicing (total weight of box 100 lb.),
- Spill kit (30 lb.) - oil containment, spilled fuel and fluids. Absorbent clothes.
- A grease gun
- A spare tire, jack, and jack stands,
- Miscellaneous supplies such as zip ties, duct tape Etc.
- 3 Occupants
- Solar panel peak power (W) 230 Max power current (IPM) (A) 7.58
- Two Battery’s (voltage 13.5-14.9V 30A-60A)
- Solar charge controller (60A mppt)
- 5000W power inverter controller
- Label maker
- A small fan to vent heat with all the electronics.
Requirements for MLV: Refined
Ignition Kit File Downloads
Requirements are elements of an Entry that MUST be accounted for in a submission. If an entry does not address these details satisfactorily, the entry will be marked as invalid.
- At least one part of the vehicle must be created by additive methods. The part must satisfy the following requirements:
- Manufacturing by additive methods is justified (e.g, the part fails frequently; the part is mission-critical and difficult to replace in deployed environments; the part must change dimensions regularly to provide modular functionality; gross vehicle weight is reduced when this part is generatively designed, etc.)
- Easily viewable by observers (e.g., roll cages are easily viewable, whereas suspension A-arms are not).
- Maximum Dimensions:
- Height: 72” (180 cm)
- Length: 141” (360 cm)
- Width: 64” (160 cm)
- Max Curb Weight: 2000 lbs (910 kg)
- Gross Vehicle Weight: 4000 lbs (1815 kg)
- Minimum Ground Clearance: 10” (25cm)
- Must contain 4 distinct modules that accommodate each of the four use-cases (Construction, Administration, Personnel, Mechanical Support) and include all of the required equipment listed in the Brief.
The modular component should be interchangeable by 2 Marines within ~15 minutes. Additional tooling to assist lifting may be used and are not required as a part of the vehicle design but a description of how modules will be changed is required.
Entries will be evaluated based on compliance with the requirements as well as upon a combination of the following:
- Completeness of the Entry
- Technical feasibility of your proposed solution
- Range, resolution and accuracy
- Proposed solution’s ease of use and simplicity
- Adherence to the Design Principles
PDF Document including:
- Summary: a brief description (500 words) of the entry.
- A detailed description of the proposed solution, including:
- Key specifications (weight, height, width, battery life, etc.)
- Callouts of significant design elements
- How your solution addresses each individual uses of the four use cases.
- Specialized technologies, materials, and fabrication processes that you recommend using and on which parts. (3d printing, vacuum forming, smart textiles, etc.)
- CAD Drawings, including identification of major design dimensions and significant design elements (such as power sources, modular components, and attachment methodologies)
- Personal / Team Bio including experience, background, capabilities, and name of each contributor.
Annotated imagery (JPEG or PNG of at least 1920x1080) in isometric and third-angle (top, side, and plan) views for:
- Full assembly of the base vehicle (no modules)
- Full assembly of each module both on and off the vehicle
- Any relevant sub-assemblies
- Module linkages
CAD files in both native and neutral in the formats of either .stl and/or .step file extensions.
- Complete solution assembly
- All sub-assemblies
- All modular components
- Materials specifications for significant parts (such as the parts you specify as being additively manufactured)
Challenge Terms and Conditions
Entry list for MLV: Refined