Challenge: Position Sensor Design Challenge
Winner Announced on or About
Brief for Position Sensor Design Challenge
Requirements for Position Sensor Design Challenge
Ignition Kit File Downloads
Your Entry must include a design for the following:
- A wireless sensor unit (the beacon units, if
any, may be wired, but wireless beacon units are preferred);
- A sensor having coverage of, at a minimum 1meter
x 1meter projected on to the surface of a pipe that can range in diameters from
1inch to 36inches;
- While 1meter x 1meter is a minimum requirement – any prediction/calculation of largest possible scan area without loss in resolution would be appreciated.
- A sensor that detects linear position in x, y,
and z directions with a linear resolution of 1mm x 1mm x 1mm and detects
angular deflection in its plane from a nominal, pre-defined vertical line with
an angular resolution of 10;
- A system capable of being implemented on pipes
with diameters ranging from 1inch to 36inches;
- You may choose to design for a nominal pipe diameter of 12 inches but the physics of the system should work for the entire range above. Specifically, the system must be trivially modifiable, in construction alone, to fit the entire range of pipe diameters.
- The system must be operable on pipes that are unsupported at heights of 1-30m above ground.
- Again, you may choose to design for a nominal height of 10m above ground. However, the physics of the proposed system should not be limited by the height of the pipe above ground.
- The system should work on pipe surfaces that curve with a curve radii ranging from 1.5 to 2 times the OD of the pipe.
- A system that is modifiable for all clearances
from 150mm to 600mm but may be designed for a nominal clearance of 300mm. This
clearance is defined as the distance from the outer surface of the pipe to the
- A sensor unit that is smaller than the probe
unit (20mm by 50mm.);
- A system that returns the position information
via either a I2C bus (preferred, outputting the absolute position as a 4-count)
or another connection with an update rate of not less than 50Hz; and
- A unit with estimated material costs of not greater than $1,000.00
The objective of this challenge is to design a wireless position sensor for the manual ultrasonic inspection of pipe welds.
Up to 3 winning Entries will be awarded cash prizes of $7,000, $2,000, $1,000 USD, respectively (from a total prize pool of $10,000).
The First Place Winner also will be eligible to receive additional funding for a six month period (from a total prize pool of up to $40,000 USD) to continue further development and/or commercialization of winner’s Entry technology, provided winner enters into the Development Funding Business Relationship. See Official Rules for details.
Should a team be awarded as winner, the cash prizes will be provided to the Team Leader for distribution amongst the Team members.
Multiple individuals may collaborate as a team. You may not participate on more than one team. You must register individually for the Challenge before joining a team. You will need to identify your team, as well as the team leader, at the outset of the Entry in accordance with the requested Entry deliverable.
A single individual member must serve as an official representative for each team as the team leader. If more than one leader is named for a team, the team will be disqualified from the Challenge. Team leader is the person submitting the entry. There is no size limit to team size.
- June 20, 2017 at 9AM ET- Challenge opens to all eligible participants.
- July 24, 2017 at 11:59PM ET - Challenge closes and all Entries must be submitted.
- July 25, 2017 at 12:00AM ET - Validation opens for all submitted Entries.
- July 31 at 11:59PM ET - Validation closes and Judging occurs.
Entries will be evaluated based on compliance with Entry Requirements as well as upon a combination of the following:
- Completeness of the Entry;
- Technical Feasibility of your proposed solution;
- Range, resolution and accuracy;
- Estimated implementation and production costs;
- Proposed solution’s ease of use and simplicity.
See Official Rules for details.
General Guidelines: Entries should be in PDF report format of approximately 5-10 pages and contain the following information and elements (BUT SHOULD NOT DISCLOSE CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION):
- An executive summary describing your proposed
- A detailed description of your proposed solution
scheme, including any supporting drawings and dimensions;
- A description, to the best of your knowledge, of
how your proposed solution might affect scan quality and speed; and
- A brief description of you (or your Team’s)
experience, background and capabilities, including relevant past projects and
experiences. If your Entry is submitted on behalf of a team, each team
member should be named individually in the description.
The list below are suggested items for inclusion in your entry. While these are not strict requirements, and some submissions may not need all these elements, a more complete entry will be judged more favorably.
- Full CAD drawings and files for any mechanical
- Complete material specifications;
- Circuit diagrams and specifications for all
- Protocol and messaging details for any
communication system designs;
- Any associated software algorithms or pseudocode
needed for the data processing;
- Estimates of prototyping costs; and
- Analysis of the accuracy range and resolution of
Subject to Official Rules. Contest opens on 9am ET on June 20, 2017. Must submit at least one Entry by 11:59pm ET July 24, 2017 to be eligible. Free FUSE account required. Employees and contractors of GE and Local Motors and any of their respective parents, affiliates or subsidiaries are ineligible. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited.
Challenge Terms and Conditions