Brief for LITECAR Challenge
- Improving prime-mover (e.g. internal combustion engine) and drive-train efficiency
- Reducing rolling resistance
- Improving vehicle drag and aerodynamics
- Reducing energy consumption of auxiliary loads
- Reducing energy required through reduction of inertia
- Curb Weight Reduction
- Supporting Evidence
- Materials with harmful environmental properties
- Safety based on active accident avoidance
- Improvements in powertrain efficiency except those enabled by lightweighting
- Aerodynamic solutions
Requirements for LITECAR Challenge
Ignition Kit File Downloads
Requirements are elements of an entry that MUST be included in the submission. If an entry does not address each of these points satisfactorily, that entry will be disqualified.
This challenge requires entries to address:
- Mass reduction in a sedan configuration passenger car accommodating 5 occupants
- Current vehicle safety standards
The challenge also requires the entries to be compatible with existing roadway infrastructure, i.e. No in-road chargers, in-road rail systems, etc.
Guidelines are conceptual directions that should lead the solutions provided. Judging will specifically be considering these elements in addition to requirements and the overarching mission statement. While these may include items that do not need to be specifically met, they express attributes that will serve to highlight the truly exceptional entries.
- Consider frontal and side impact scenarios.
- Explore innovative structures and materials or even methods of manufacturing, which enable the use of contemporary or classic construction materials for vehicle lightweighting
- Always remember that the impact of your solution is fundamentally related to adoption. Look to address the adoption of your idea on multiple levels:
- While specific cost metrics are not expected, consider costs of materials, tooling and manufacturing processes.
- Be aware of aesthetic hurdles of your entry and consider providing direction to address those issues.
- Consider environmental impact.
- Any 2D or 3D assets created around the concept solution
- Relevant materials list referencing all the key materials that contribute to the success of the concept
- Supporting Technology and Components list, including references validating the performance assumptions of those elements where necessary
- A written explanation or defense of the concept including (not to exceed seven pages):
- Impacts on curb weight and occupant safety
- A description of the manufacturing processes required to support your solution
- A critique on the potential issues with the concept - what are the potential challenges and enabling technologies for the solution?
- Identification and justification of the component to be considered for the Innovative Component and/or Safety Component award(s)
- A completed self evaluation card that can be downloaded with the ignition kit.
Challenge Terms and Conditions
Entry list for LITECAR Challenge
First Runner-Up Prize
Second Runner-Up Prize
Innovative Component - Design
Innovative Component - Safety
Community Award Prize